James routinely advises leading market participants on financial derivatives, trading, portfolio financing arrangements and associated regulatory issues. He acts for sell-side and buy-side clients including global investment banks, hedge funds, asset managers, family offices and other financial institutions across a wide range of trading, hedging and financing transactions and related documentation.
His practice includes advising on a broad range of products and asset classes, including over-the-counter, cleared and exchange-traded derivatives, prime brokerage, synthetic financing, custody, securities financing transactions and credit intermediation. He has experience of working in-house on the sell-side and also the buy-side having been previously seconded to two of Europe’s largest hedge fund managers.
Recent engagements Include:
- Advising the largest new hedge fund launch (AUM $1 billion+) in Europe (2021) in relation to its portfolio financing and trading arrangements
- Advising a leading alternative asset management group on its structured repo financing facilities
- Acting for a leading global investment bank in relation to its prime brokerage, synthetic financing and exchange-traded derivatives businesses
- Advising various buy-side clients on compliance with regulatory issues such as Uncleared Margin Rules and IBOR transition
- Acting for a major investment management group on its committed financing facility for investment in SPACs