Prior to co-founding Chancery Advisors, Damian spent 20 years as an in-house counsel in the top tier of the Financial Services sector. He ran the EMEA Prime Brokerage functions at each of Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch and Credit Suisse, ending his time at Credit Suisse as head of legal coverage for the whole EMEA Sales and Trading businesses. From October 2010 to December 2016, he was at ICAP Plc; first as General Counsel, EMEA, then as General Counsel EMEA and APAC, before serving as Co-Group General Counsel during the separation of ICAP’s businesses and subsequent sale of its broking division to Tullett Prebon Plc. He was a member of the senior executive team that transferred to the newly formed TP ICAP Plc in December 2016, and left in June 2017.
Damian has spoken at a number of internal and third party conferences, including at the International Bar Association’s Annual Conference in Vienna in 2015. In 2016, he was included on Legal Business’ GC Power list, while also making the short list at the British legal Awards for General Counsel of the Year.
As well as being Managing Partner, he leads the General Counsel advisory side of Chancery’s business and recent work includes:
- Advising on the acquisition of the business of a failed broker under the Investment Bank Special Regulations 2011
- Providing expert advice to litigants in respect of the “cum-ex “ dividend lawsuits
- Advising both buy and sell side clients on the UK regulatory framework for cryptoassets, together with putting in place custody, execution, OTC and other transaction documentation
- Advising on the structure and set up for an established offshore fund to investment in various cryptoasset strategies
- Advising on contentious matters in connection with employment, trading and supplier service contracts.